The archaeological restoration of the 9th century Great Basilica in Pliska, capital of the First Bulgarian Empire (632/680-1018 AD) between 680 and 893 AD, has been reintensified by the National Museum of History in Sofia as of May 2016.
This has been made clear in a statement of the Museum which has also renewed its call for donations for the restoration works (find the bank account for donations is at the end of this article).
In March 2016, Bulgaria’s Cabinet allocated a total of BGN 770,000 (app. EUR 335,000) to the Ministry of Culture for completing the archaeological restoration of the 9th century Great Basilica in the capital of the First Bulgarian Empire (632/680-1018 AD) Pliska, after having already allocated BGN 500,000 (app. EUR 250,000) in the summer of 2015.
The restoration of the Great Basilica in Pliska, which was the largest church in Europe until the 16th century, was started by Bulgaria’s National Museum of History in November 2015. It was initiated after the 1150th anniversary since Bulgaria’s adoption of Christianity as the official state religion.